Doctor's strike, negligence contributed to my worsening health challenges- patient cries outOgbonnaya Ikokwu, Umuahia

Chibuikem Godswill Obinna,  who was in 2013 a final year Student of the Department
of Architecture of  Abia State University, Uturu has alleged that negligence and an industrial action embarked upon by doctors that year contributed to his deteriorating health challenges.

A medical report dated December 13, 2016 which was sighted by our correspondent stated that he was diagnosed of voso-occlusive Crisis at the emergency unit of Federal Medical Centre Umuahia on may 17,  2013 while on admission.

The report added that he also had severe arthropathy complications

together with haemoglobinopathy.


The medical report also revealed that as a result of the complications of arthropathy, Obinna, had surgeries in both keels and has since then conferred to a wheel chair.

Narrating his ordeal to our correspondent Obinna, said the health condition had delayed his dreams of becoming an architect as well drained the finances of his family beyond measure.

The patient who hails from Nkata Ibeku in Umuahia North Local Government of Abia State however expressed hope that he could walk again if proper medical attention is given to him in a better hospital.

He said, "I been in this condition for over nine years. It hindered me from graduating with my course mates since 2013.

"The sickness started in school when I was having one of my defences, I was on the stage when I started sweating, then my lecturer asked me to go home, my classmates assisted me to go home that day.

"The following morning when I woke up, I discovered that there were a lot of students in my room in the hostel praying for me. They told me that I fainted in the bathroom.

"At that point I had to leave the campus to meet my parents at home. When I got home my father contacted one of our relations who is a nurse. She started treating me, but there was no improvement after some time. I became confused myself, then I was taken to the first hospital where all the symptoms of the sickness started coming out, my legs became swollen too.

"They even drained the fluid and conducted culture test but after treating me for three months they referred me to another hospital, but the doctor in the second hospital  advised us to go to the Federal Medical Centre Umuahia. When I was admitted at FMC Umuahia, they said there was infection in my leg. By then infection had started affecting the second leg.

"They performed a surgery on the legs, but it was not up to three days, doctors embarked on a strike action. The nurses were not doing much I stayed for a long time before the doctors resumed work.

"A drainer was fixed on my legs to be draining pause from the legs within the period doctors were on strike.The drainer drained everything fluid in my body. I loss so much strength as a result of the drainer.

"I'm saying that the drainer  contributed to my condition now. The negligence including the drainer and doctors strike worsened my condition.

"After that they referred me to UNTH Enugu but they not giving me serious treatment, all they gave me was diacofac everyday because I was in severe pains. But a consultant later discharged me stating that a damage had been done to me already.

"That was how we came back to FMC and then I developed bed sores all over.

This sickness has drained my family beyond measure. we find it difficult to eat three square meal now, let alone buying drugs to keep fighting the infection.

"It has been hell for me, counting from 2012 will make ten years of suffering. It's only one of my course mates who has been fighting for me to get attention".

Obinna's parents who confirmed his story solicited assistance from good spirited members of the public to move him to better health facility to for medical attention.

Members of the public wishing to assist  Obinna can contact on his mobile number 07039846523.

Post a Comment